Like whole-body fitness, maintaining your oral health takes work and a commitment to a healthy lifestyle. This means not only brushing and flossing daily, but a host of other activities that are critical to keeping your smile at its best.
A HEALTHY SMILE THAT LASTS A LIFETIME
STARTS WITH THESE IMPORTANT STEPS:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss your teeth at least once a day
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat a variety of healthy foods from the five major food groups
- Cut down on snacking in between meals, especially snacks and drinks that are high in sugar
- Replace your toothbrush or toothbrush head ( for electric models) every three months or when the bristles become visibly worn or splayed
- See your dentist at least every six months for a comprehensive exam and cleaning
FACT…when bacteria (plague) come into contact with sugar in the mouth, acid is produced, which attacks the teeth….This can eventually results in tooth decay. Source: The American Dental Association (ADA)
The benefits of a healthy smile are numerous. By keeping your teeth and gums in good shape throughout your life can help prevent a host of potentially serious problems like tooth decay and periodontal disease, the advanced stage of gum disease that is linked with general health conditions such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
FACT...one fourth of adults over age 60 have lost all of their teeth - primarily because of tooth decay, which affects more than 90% of adults over age 40. Source: Center for Disease Control and Prevention; May 24, 2007.
We encourage you to talk with our staff about what Cosmetic dentistry options are right for you!
Copyright © 2008 - Family Dental Care of Oak Park - All rights reserved - 708-848-3727